Gift of Teaching (Romans 12:7, 1 Corinthians 12:28)
This gift is the ability to communicate information in such a way that members of the Body of Christ understand how to apply spiritual principles to their own lives and ministries.
- There were positions in the New Testament church for some who had this gift. (Acts 13:1)
- As a result of the use of this gift, people will not just know more, but their behavior will actually change. (Acts 11:25, 26)
- Some may use this gift in a:
- Large group – Acts 5:42; 19:11; 20:20
- Small group – Acts 2:42; 5:42; 20:20
- One-on-one – Acts 18:26; II Timothy 2:2
- Everyone is called to teach. (Matthew 19, 20)
- Exercising this gift carries with it a greater accountability for the teacher. (James 3:1)
- The goal of this gift is spiritual maturity. (Colossians 1:28-29; II Timothy 3:16-17)
- Acts 18:24-28 — Apollos
- Acts 18:11; 20:20 — Paul
- II Timothy 2:2; 4:11 — Timothy
Possible Characteristics of this Gift:
- Your prayers are often for understanding for those you are teaching.
- You enjoy people.
- You have a genuine concern for those you are teaching.
- You have a great deal of patience for those who are learning from you.
- You have the ability to communicate scripture in an understandable way.
- You have seen others apply your teachings to their lives and grow as a result.
- You are not easily threatened by criticism when teaching.
- You enjoy spending time in study for your teaching.
- Your study is intended to help you clearly communicate with others.
- As a lay person, you find little time for other ministries in addition to teaching.
- You may communicate through the use of various media.
- You are concerned that precise words and illustrations communicate what you want to say.
- You are always learning and then wanting to teach it to others.
- You are able to apply truths to the lives of others.
- You sometimes feel you could communicate a point better than someone else who is teaching.
- You are a disciplined person.
Common Support Gifts:
Wisdom, Prophecy, Evangelism, Faith
- Affinity Ministries (Women’s Ministry, Men’s Ministry, Legacy MOMS, Next Chapter Widows, Seniors, Young Pros, College, Recreation)
- KIDS (Nursery, Preschool, and Elementary Teachers, Curriculum Team, Camp/Retreat Teacher)
- Life Group Leader
- Missions (Local Missions Volunteer, Short Term Mission Trip Team)
- Student Ministries (Teacher, Small Group Leader, Camp/Retreat Teacher)