Gift of Shepherding (I Peter 5:1-4; Ephesians 4:11)
This gift is the ability to minister to an established group of people (believers) by caring for their spiritual welfare holistically on a long-term basis.
- Jesus is the Good and Ultimate Shepherd of all believers. (Psalms 23:1; John 10:11, 14; I Peter 2:25)
- Jesus has gifted some as under-shepherds to care for His followers. (I Peter 5:2)
- This gift is concerned with serving and caring for the needs of a small group of people. (I Peter 5:2-4)
- This gift is concerned with protecting the believers from attacks, both from within and from the outside. (Acts 20:29-31)
- This is not a passive or docile gift but must always be alert. (Acts 20:29-31)
- This gift is often combined with other gifts. (Ephesians 4:11)
- This is not the dominant gift of the Senior Pastor for a large growing church.
- Acts 20:28-35 — Ephesian Elders
Possible Characteristics of this Gift:
- Your prayers are often comprised of requests for the deep hurts and needs of those whom you are shepherding.
- You are a people person and enjoy being around others.
- You tend to build deep relationships with others and do not enjoy superficial or casual friendships for very long.
- Others are attracted to you because they sense that you truly care for them.
- People see you as a warm person with a real concern for the welfare of others.
- You are frustrated with tasks that take you away from ministering to those around you for very long.
- You can feel frustrated by those who are too involved in their own goals to care for others.
- You do not feel comfortable in a tightly regimented time schedule.
- When you share with others, you often focus on the relational aspects of the Christian life.
- You feel inadequate to meet all the needs of those to whom you minister.
- You have a great burden to protect those around you from non-Biblical influences.
- You feel frustrated when relationships with others do not last long-term.
- You enjoy being able to focus on a few rather than being “spread too thin.”
Common Support Gifts:
Mercy, Encouragement, Discernment
- Affinity Ministries (Women’s Ministry, Men’s Ministry, Legacy MOMS, Next Chapter Widows, Seniors, Young Pros, College, Recreation)
- KIDS (Teachers and Helpers)
- Life Group Leader
- Ministry Team Leaders
- Special Buddies
- Student Ministries (Small Group Leader)