Gift of Mentoring (Ephesians 4:11)
This gift is the ability to instruct, guide, and care for a local expression of the Body of Christ, such that the members are prepared to reach out in ministry to others, both inside and outside the Body.
- This gift is a combination of Shepherding and Teaching. (Ephesians 4:11)
- The primary responsibility of this gift is preparing the members of the Body for ministry. (Ephesians 4:12) Only as others use their gift is the Body built up. (Ephesians 4:12,13)
- The offices of Apostles, Prophets, and Evangelists also include preparing others for works of ministry.
- The teaching should correct, rebuke, encourage, and contain careful instruction, and considerable effort and time will be spent accordingly.
- This gift should not neglect evangelism. (II Timothy 4:5)
- This position may be supported financially to facilitate preaching and teaching. (I Timothy 5:17-18)
- Biblical Examples include I & II Timothy — Timothy
Possible Characteristics of this Gift:
- Your prayers are for your leadership of the flock with which you have been entrusted.
- People look to you for leadership.
- You are a disciplined person.
- You often feel internal tension between the task at hand and the people problems which impede progress.
- You are goal-oriented, but people focused.
- You are successful at preparing and motivating others to become involved in using their gifts in ministry.
- You train leaders well.
- You articulate your thoughts well.
- Your desire is to please God first, people second.
- You are an example of a godly lifestyle.
- You are able to offer decisive leadership to the Body you are shepherding.
- You are frustrated when you do not see others growing into maturity or using their gifts for the building of the Body.
- You are concerned that all the needs of the Body are met, though not necessarily by yourself.
Common Support Gifts:
Pastor, Teaching, Wisdom, Encouragement, Leadership
- Affinity Ministries (Women’s Ministry, Men’s Ministry, Legacy MOMS, Next Chapter Widows, Seniors, College, Young Pros)
- KIDS (Teachers and Helpers)
- Life Group Leader
- Missions (Local Missions Volunteers, Short Term Mission Trip Team)
- Student Ministries (Small Group Leader)
- Ministry Team Leaders