Gift of Hospitality (I Peter 4:9)
This gift is the ability to reach out to others and welcome them into your home and life in a loving, warm manner, while providing food and lodging, such that the guests feel “at home” in your presence.
- This gift is not clearly delineated with other gifts and may be a specific application of the Gift of Service. (I Peter 4:9-11)
- All believers are to exhibit hospitality. (Hebrews 13:2)
- Hospitality in general is a qualification for spiritual leadership (I Timothy 3:2; Titus 1:8) and for widows who are supported by the church. (I Timothy 5:10)
- This gift is to be used to provide for itinerant ministers (missionaries, etc.). (III John 5-8)
- The people with this gift need to see themselves as an extension of their guest’s ministry and, therefore, as accountable for their guest’s teachings.
- Acts 16:15 — Lydia
- Acts 21:4,7,8,16 — Paul’s accommodations
- Romans 16:23; III John 5-8 — Gaius
- Philemon 2:22 — Philemon
Possible Characteristics of this Gift:
- You often pray that God will use your home to accommodate visitors.
- You enjoy meeting new people.
- You enjoy having visitors in your home, and often have people staying with you.
- You enjoy preparing meals for guests.
- You are relaxed entertaining people in your home and enjoy having people over who you do not know well.
- You are quick to invite people you have just met to your home.
- People feel very comfortable in your home and do not feel as if they are imposing. They often “kick off their shoes” and find it easy to relax.
- You are not upset if your home is not in perfect order when someone drops in.
- Many people just stop by.
- You often open your home for Bible studies and social functions.
- You enjoy asking neighbors over.
- Others see you as a friendly and open person.
Common Support Gifts:
Service, Mercy, Encouragement
- Food Service for Events and Special Programs
- Guest Services (Greeting, Guest Hospitality, Café, Hosts)
- Office Assistant
- Missions (Local Missions Volunteer, BRIDGES Missionary Care Team)
- Student Ministries (Hospitality Team)
- Use my home to host a Life Group
- Event and Lobby Party Planning Team