Gift of Discernment (1 Corinthians 12:10)
This gift is the ability to perceive the motives of others and the sincerity within relationships concerning the Body of Christ. Or in other words, it is the ability to know if something is from God, a demonic source, or if it simply reflects human opinion.
- All Christians should be able to distinguish between right and wrong (Hebrews 5:14; I John 4:1).
- This gift involves insight into circumstances which ordinarily could not be known, so that motives may be ascertained (Acts 5:1-10).
- At times, this gift will reveal a person’s sincerity in the course of a conversation (Acts 8:23).
- Satan easily counterfeits this gift (Luke 4:33, 34: Acts 16:17).
- Biblical examples include Matthew 9:4.
Possible Characteristics of this Gift:
- Your prayers often consist of asking God what you should do with your intuitions.
- You are very observant to what people say.
- You tend to notice “body language” that is not consistent with what the person is saying.
- You almost have a sixth sense about what is being said or is happening which cannot always be explained.
- Your intuitions are often correct.
- You hesitate to speak to others of their motives because they may not be receptive.
- You sometimes gossip about a “feeling” you have with regard to a person rather than confront the person involved.
- Certain events often confirm a premonition you have had.
- You have an analytical mind.
- People see you as a very perceptive person.
Common Support Gifts:
Wisdom, Leadership, Prophecy, Encouragement
- Creative Arts Team (Brainstorming Teams, Social Media Moderator)
- Guest Services (Seating Host, Safety Ministry Team)
- KIDS (Teacher, Helper)
- Life Group Leader
- Ministry Assistant
- Missions (BRIDGES Missionary Care Team, Short Term Missions Trip Leader)
- Prayer Team
- Student Ministry (Small Group Leader)
- Worship Team